Avery Laine, Part II (The Second Year)

Friday, December 30, 2011

My Great Papa Ken


In November I lost one of my great grandparents (my mom's last living grandparent), Great Papa Ken! Ken Sanderude was a pretty special guy who taught me a lot in the years I knew him. He moved to Oregon just before I was born and I'm pretty lucky to have had him so close these last few years. Just a month shy of his 94th birthday, Papa went peacefully to live with the Lord. I know he's an angel in heaven now looking out for me and my sister, and I frequently make up songs about him that I sing to myself when no one's around. Here are a few things you may not know about my Papa:

1. He loved to tell stories -- old stories -- good stories. The kind you don't mind hearing a hundred times, like the time he swatted my mommy when she was my age for talking sassy to him.
2. He was a VERY hard worker and a talented salesman. His work ethic is something that has been passed down through our family; I already love having "jobs" and tasks to help out with.
3. He was an outdoorsman who spent much of his life on his family's farm in Minnesota. He frequently talked about going back there -- now he will be back there. He spent his later years on a lake in northern California where he picked up golf, crawfish trapping, boating, snow shoveling and just about anything else to keep active.
4. He was COURAGEOUS. Papa Ken fought in WWII as a Marine. He remembered stories of his platoon's convoy getting hit by the enemy and even kept a rifle he took from the Japanese that my Daddy now has. He always said, "Once a Marine, always a Marine" and woke the family up with a bugle song bright and early (too early) each morning.
5. He had outlived most all of his family -- parents, 2 sisters, 2 wives and hundreds of friends. He was born in 1917 and lived through some tough times, but that just made him stronger. He is survived only by his 3 children, 5 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.
6. He was a great singer and dancer. Mommy remembers the way he always smelled like Listerine and after-shave. It's one of the reasons he still had all of his own teeth at 93! Here he is dancing with my mom at her wedding.
7. He ALWAYS wore the shiniest cowboy boots! In fact, he left several pair behind that we are now enjoying. He polished his boots so religiously that they look brand new! He also had his clothes dry-cleaned regularly so they would always be freshly starched and pressed.
8. He was a classy guy...someone we all loved knowing.
9. One of his favorite sayings was,"Ride loose in the saddle of life." I think I'll have to ponder that a little longer before I know what he meant.
10. Perhaps his very favorite quote was, "The first hundred years are the hardest!" I know that must be true; hopefully I got his good genes. Love you, Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment